3.11.2012

A Petit Collage Tutorial

A while ago on vacation, I remember distinctly this giant painting of a cut orange. It was bright and bold . . . and fabulous. I instantly fell in love with it, and the image never left my mind. But, I'll remind you, it was a painting . . . and well . . . I'm no painter . . . at least not of detailed images anyway. So, in order to recreate it, I needed to come up with a better solution.

That is when I decided to experiment with petit collage.

Step 1: Decide on your colors and cut out a bazillion scrap pieces from all your old magazines.




Step 2: Outline your image on your canvas. (Try not to worry too much about making it so "perfect." I honestly think petit collage is meant to NOT be perfect...)




Step 3: Paint your background.



Step 4: Begin gluing (or Mod Podging) your scrap pieces on the canvas, using your freehand drawing as a guide. (I chose to use scraps of text as my outline.)







Step 5: Place it on your mantel, stand back and smile.



Linked up to: (Sunday) Nifty Thrifty Things, C.R.A.F.T., The Girl Creative, Homemaker on a Dime, Everything Under the Moon, Craftomaniac, Lines Across my FaceThe Delectable Home, It's Overflowing, Making the World Cuter (Monday) Burlap & Denim, Making the World Cuter (Tuesday) Chef-in-Training, Sugarbee Crafts, Sassy Sites, Not Just a Housewife, Natural Nesters, Clean & Scentisible,  Uncommon, Fox Hollow Cottage (Wednesday) Blue Cricket Design, 733, Southern Lovely, Someday Crafts, Chatty Chics, Crafty Scappy Happy, Beyond the Picket Fence (Thursday) 52 Mantels, Simply Designing, Design Dazzle, See Vanessa Craft, (Friday) Bacon Time, Finding FabulousTatertots & JelloFunky Junk (Saturday) Six Sister's Stuff, A Little Inspiration, Too Much Time on My Hands, The Lettered Cottage Pin It Now!

21 comments:

  1. this is amazing! you are so clever.
    love. it.
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Seriously amazing! I love the collage technique. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! The collage technique gives your orange so much dimension. I'm curious how many magazines you needed to pull from to get that much orange. I also have to say that this reminds me of the fun illustrations in Eric Carle books.

    Always inspired by your fun posts!

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Very inspiring! Great job!

    -sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome!!!! Such a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool, I love that project, pinning it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your artwork turned out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I love all your orange. Thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great posting I have read. I like your article

    ReplyDelete
  10. really? you made that look so easy and i swear if i did it, it would resemble something my 4 year old (who is not crafty at all) would do. so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holly...I love anything mosaic! Several years back I made a torn magazine paper mosaic for a friend of mine - took me forever, but she still has it hanging in her home! It's here if you want to have a peek.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=240596789351325&set=a.181443671933304.44797.118287944915544&type=3&theater

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the energy and the colors of your art piece. And you made it sound fairly straight-forward but it sure doesn't look that way! How very artsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the collage but I really love your milk glass vases with candles in them. I have to copy this. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^}

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just so clever and colorful ... just like you! I'm pinning ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Umm, yeah... that IS art my dear. Love it. So fresh and fabulous. It's ultra cool and unique =))) Thanks for linking up!!

    Oh, and please check out this post on how to remove word verification ;) http://foxhollowcottage.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-remove-word-verification-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is stunning! So bright and cheerful! Love it!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this. When I started reading I kindof decided in my mind what you were going to do. But I was wrong! I didn't anticipate this being an inside view of the orange. Love the sections. Really cool. I see mosaic fruit in my future....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! It's fabulous! Will be featuring you tomorrow at Wild Wednesday!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll come back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)