8.31.2012

Thrifting 101.



Recently I've been getting a lot of e-mails and questions in comments about thrifting. Today I'd like to share a few things that might (or might not) help you out...

* Research.
Find out what's available in your area. Google "Thrift Stores" or "Goodwill" or "Salvation Army" in your town. You might be surprised what's out there that you never knew about. And keep your eyes open next time your out. Some of the very best ones are complete holes in the wall!

* Go A LOT.
I might go 3 times one week and not find a thing, but once the next week and hit the jackpot. Most stores get things daily, so you truly never know what's out there unless you go!

*Be prepared to get dirty.
Just to give you a heads-up, typically the owners don't wash things. The stuff has come from who knows where and has who knows what on it...so you pack some hand sanitizer and a box of wipes and you move on. There's plenty of time for cleaning later.

* You don't always need to have "something in mind."
There might be some husbands out there that disagree (including my own), but unless it's going to take up your entire storage space or cost you an arm and a leg, if you like it, get it. I can't tell you how many things I WISHED I would have bought...because 2 weeks later I'm home and realized the perfect spot for it...
Besides, it's probably cheap...if you don't find a spot, give it back to the Goodwill and write it off on your taxes!

* Haggle. 
It's worth a try. Some places do it all day long. Some simply refuse. You won't know who does what unless you try.

*Add on another garage. 
Hahahaha! I wish.

If you go enough, eventually, you'll get to the point where you'll know your favorites, know exactly who to talk to and maybe even plan your daily outing around stopping at at least one...well, that's the life I lead anyway. :)
Good luck, guys!
And happy hunting.


Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with all of these points! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all great tips but the most important one is 'go often'. You just never know what will have come in that day! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tips.
    I became addicted to thrifting less than 6 months ago.
    I have two "neighborhood" stores that I can stop by every day if I want to.
    And, a route that takes me to all of the Goodwill's on my side of town!
    I have found some awesome things when I just do a "quick stop" with nothing in mind.
    And, thrifting has finally helped me make our home our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! Thrifting is on my list of things to do more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally addicted to thrifting. My home is about 78 percent thrift store decorated. Love to start taking pictures and showing off. Lol. My best purchase? Maybe a pair of Birkenstocks in perfect condition for 9 cents, yes.. 9 pennies. I buy lots of Pyrex and primitives, and household items. Just bought a cute desk for 1.00 and need some ideas on painting it. Love your blog, happy thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, oh man! I need to come to your town! What great prices!!!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these tips! I have been thrifting with my mom since I was little, and I still love it. Here in Dallas we literally have dozens of stores, but only a few that we visit on a regular basis. I love your advice about hand sanitizer. I always feel a little icky when I leave.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such true tips!
    Just discovered we're in your 'area' - would you mind sharing your common haunts - especially the holes in the walls? I've been to the Salvation Army in North Charleston and horrified at the prices so would love any hints!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)