I'm Kirby, and normally I blog over at Kirb Appeal, but the lovely and talented Holly asked me to share a very quick, easy and cheap idea with you--my garden chair.
My friend Anne works for a company that coordinates estate sales. Occasionally, she will call me to let me know that there are some items left that weren't sold, and she can "make me a deal." Many times, this deal involves a swap--we clear it out for them, and it's free. (They know our car will only hold so much.)
The chair above was one of those swaps. It was in really bad shape, but it had nice lines. I wanted to reupholster it, but the seat was all eaten away.
(The seat originally looked like this, and it was all horsehair inside.)
After taking all the nastiness out of the seat, I took a flower pot (I always seem to have a bunch of them lying around...they multiply like rabbits) and gauged how much I would have to cut out of the chair to make the pot fit in snugly. This was mostly tiral-and-error, but in the end, I got it to fit pretty well.
I gave it a dry-brushed coat of chartreuse paint, then finished it with three coats of a spar varnish so that it could stay outside all summer.
With a few zinnias planted inside, it was a great addition to the garden!
I'm glad I got to share this easy, peasy, fun and sleazy project (well, except for the sleazy part) with you! Pin It Now!